Author Topic: The last 3 feet Comparison  (Read 3178 times)

malsound

Re: The last 3 feet Comparison
« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2021, 22:29:24 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Must get one of these

If it is my grandfather power station, can ask him to run 2 sets of power line one by tower and the order underground to my house for comparison.  ;D

BadEnglish

• Bad Since 20th Century. Set to Expire in 21th
    « Reply #16 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:41:23 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

• Is it because the position of the cable or because there are more items that diffuse the sound from the sound reflective floor?  ;D

My bet is tension.

zephyr11

« Reply #17 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:57:19 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Forget about changing the whole cable,  just by charging  the height of cable lifters can make or break the imaging and tonality.

20211213_183605.jpg

Vs.

20211213_185147.jpg

Any small change to your system or room can have a big impact on sound. The real question is : Is it heading to the right direction ?

Only trained ears can tell the answer.  ;D

as much as i would love to try that, i would like to still be married, plus you have a cat? how does that work...

BadEnglish

« Reply #18 on: 14 December, 2021, 09:40:13 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

• as much as i would love to try that, i would like to still be married, plus you have a cat? how does that work...

Wife , Learn from the expert here how to manage the expectations of wife,  but I'm not the a good guy in that :D

Dogs , once they know you love them they know how to respect.

blue_starfish

« Reply #19 on: 14 December, 2021, 10:23:40 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Thank for sharing.
    I didn't expected this effect of spreading from distributor to the downstream. This is interesting and also a problem for me.
    I have full silver and full copper powercord with different charecteristic, all will become rojak.

Bro wus,

I have gone through this power cord phase. My biggest problems were inconsistent sound characteristics across genres while playing, and not background not as quiet as it could be. Despite me using good power cords across components. In the end, I got rid of all power cords and used just one make. This got me the consistency that allowed me to tune the system and room and I got to the next level.

It is very important that your pre amp and power amp use the same brand of power cord for the sake of consistent sound and noise control. Source components can get away with rojak to tune the source incoming to the pre. Turntable power supply can use any cord that is quiet. Can use different models of the same brand, but keep to the brand for a consistent house sound.

My best power cord and the longest feeds the distributor as it influences even the rojak cords used to feed my sources. BTW I found that different lengths of the same power cord has differences. To my ears and system, a 2m length sound much better than 1.5m and 1m identical cords. I dared not try 3m length lest I cannot unplug once I test. The price per metre length is large.

malsound

« Reply #20 on: 14 December, 2021, 10:40:38 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
    My best power cord and the longest feeds the distributor  To my ears and system, a 2m length sound much better than 1.5m and 1m identical cords. I dared not try 3m length lest I cannot unplug once I test. The price per metre length is large.

To be precise the magic number is 6 feet or 18.3cm according to Hong Kong guru.

BadEnglish

« Reply #21 on: 14 December, 2021, 11:23:28 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Bro wus,

It is very important that your pre amp and power amp use the same brand of power cord for the sake of consistent sound and noise control. Source components can get away with rojak to tune the source incoming to the pre. Turntable power supply can use any cord that is quiet. Can use different models of the same brand, but keep to the brand for a consistent house sound.

+1

zephyr11

« Reply #22 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:55:11 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

• Wife , Learn from the expert here how to manage the expectations of wife,  but I'm not the a good guy in that :D

Dogs , once they know you love them they know how to respect.

IMPRESSIVE!

8) 8) 8)

Bloody Chowbotak

« Reply #23 on: 15 December, 2021, 21:56:58 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Just about to wrap up my exercise to assign power cords to components in my system. Tiring work sia and very time consuming. Have to plug in, play abt 10 hrs to be sure for each change . Cb ;D Will be doing a casual shoot out at a fren's place this Sat. Abt 6 PCs  ;D
    I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

AndrewC

« Reply #24 on: 16 December, 2021, 08:33:00 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • To be precise the magic number is 6 feet or 18.3cm according to Hong Kong guru.

Errrm, fake HK guru spotted!  ;D

There's no such thing is just one optimum length for power cords, because the optimum length depends on many factors, including; AC output impedance, power cable electrical characteristics, insulation material, equipment AC input impedance, etc. etc. etc.
    You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

BadEnglish

« Reply #25 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:18:47 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

• Errrm, fake HK guru spotted!  ;D

There's no such thing is just one optimum length for power cords, because the optimum length depends on many factors, including; AC output impedance, power cable electrical characteristics, insulation material, equipment AC input impedance, etc. etc. etc.

There is a scientific reason behind 6 ft. It's the ....

You know how to search on Internet (Google)

BadEnglish

« Reply #26 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:21:09 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Just about to wrap up my exercise to assign power cords to components in my system. Tiring work sia and very time consuming. Have to plug in, play abt 10 hrs to be sure for each change . Cb ;D Will be doing a casual shoot out at a fren's place this Sat. Abt 6 PCs  ;D

Huh 10 hrs to settle down (burn-in) then how to shoot out 6 PCs. Unless your friend has spare room for you to stay there a few days ;D

Francishuang

« Reply #27 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:27:53 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Audiophile term or some say snake oil term for it is...
    Mechanical length tuning.

Errrm, fake HK guru spotted!  ;D

Bloody Chowbotak

« Reply #28 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:53:52 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Huh 10 hrs to settle down (burn-in) then how to shoot out 6 PCs. Unless your friend has spare room for you to stay there a few days ;D

That's why I said "casual" shootout  8) ;D In fact I shd have said "casual comparison" No winners, just a matter of preference
    I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

malsound

« Reply #29 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:57:02 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Only way to find out fake or not is to diy same model power cords and plugs, Daisy chain 2 cord one 6 ft and 2m run in with  cable cooker. Plug each into monoblock  and put speaker side by side. Invite dog and bat ear sifu for audition,  play mono  digital track only and toggle between left and right channel.
    This more doable that my fantasy cable tower and underground double blind test. Any body game to try. ;)