Author Topic: HiFi setup- Optimum listening (seating) position  (Read 553 times)

RTO

HiFi setup- Optimum listening (seating) position
« on: 22 October, 2021, 14:26:24 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • How did you find out your current listening position? What approach/s you have taken to achieve that?
    I heard from many that, use your ear. I think, there are some calculations, other than just using the ear. I think it also vary for small vs big room. Are you able to share your experience?

1.   Is it your room small or med to large size?

2.   Are you taking the distance between L & R speakers and create the equilateral triangle?

3.   OR; based on the room width and depth?

4.   OR; some other approach?

https://uturnaudio.com/pages/speaker-placement

wusplay

Re: HiFi setup- Optimum listening (seating) position
    « Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2021, 14:57:48 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • My reply here prove that I'm not an audiophile.  ;D
    I listen to music anywhere...
    I can imagine a proper audiophile would do nothing else, concern and listening to music in a well chosen spot for hours. This is weird ... ;D

RTO

« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2021, 15:36:25 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
    I can imagine a proper audiophile would do nothing else, concern and listening to music in a well chosen spot for hours. This is weird ... ;D

Haha.. Not applicable for those have good HP set up like this (My Dream HP  :D)
    Dream HP.jpg

boxerfan88

HiFi setup- Optimum listening (seating) position
    « Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2021, 16:09:30 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • My room is 4m x 4m.
    I use the equilateral triangle concept.
    L-R speakers forms the triangle base.
    MLP sited just inside the triangle apex.
    Speakers toed in a little.

Listening at MLP is shiok. Yet listening at my work seat is also quite good (offset to the right of MLP by ~1m)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: 23 October, 2021, 08:58:36 am by boxerfan88 »
    Usher MD2+X616 | DA&T A38  | Soekris dac1541 | foobar2000 | Elementa BAC 2500 | Samsung PS50B850 | Yammy RXA3030 | Orisun DD12 | BDP-S5100 | Chromecast | RPi4+LibreElec | Zidoo Z9X

BadEnglish

• Bad Since 20th Century. Set to Expire in 21th
    « Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2021, 19:30:37 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

I reply to your post to prove that I am not an audiophile  ;D
    A sweet spot is for stereo imaging  ;D
    A good system is sound good wherever you are/sit , but no stereo imaging.

RTO

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2021, 08:23:45 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Initially I was following the equilateral triangle  and later part moved to room position, based on the room length.

My system in a small room  (2.6*3M) and Speakers are placed along the shorter wall.

Thank you for those shared their approach. Looking forward to hear more from the experienced stereo speaker setups members.

blue_starfish

« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2021, 14:02:46 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Every room sounds different. What works for one, may not work for another. Especially if there are windows or glass doors on one or two sides. And where the door is located also affects the sound.

My most challenging placement involved bay window on left side, wooden door on the right side, glass bricks plus solid wall behind the speaker, another wooden door behind the left speaker. Ended up that the best placement was right speaker fire straight. Left speaker fire at 40 deg angle. Use eyes, cannot comprehend. Close eyes and listen, the imaging was dead centre with layering.

Bloody Chowbotak

« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2021, 15:10:00 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • I don't have much space to accomodate the moving of my listening seat. Seat is currently roughly at the point where bass issues is minimal. Agree with Blue Starfish that every room is different and I believe that not every individual will have the same preferred spot in any particular room. I play around with spks positioning much more. So far have moved them more than 200 times. Now I just listen. Very happy with the majorityof music played.  ;D
    I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

wusplay

« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2021, 16:13:32 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Just an out of the box idea
    To place the speakers wider apart diagonally to create a bigger stage in a small room.
    Open the door, there's the listening spot.   ;)

boxerfan88

« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2021, 16:22:52 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • What’s a spearker? A speaker with a spear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Usher MD2+X616 | DA&T A38  | Soekris dac1541 | foobar2000 | Elementa BAC 2500 | Samsung PS50B850 | Yammy RXA3030 | Orisun DD12 | BDP-S5100 | Chromecast | RPi4+LibreElec | Zidoo Z9X

wusplay

« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2021, 17:06:47 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Well, creating new term is a strategic to get attention and generate more posts ;D

RTO

« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2021, 21:54:14 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Just an out of the box idea
    To place the speakers wider apart diagonally to create a bigger stage in a small room.
    Open the door, there's the listening spot.   ;)

I like the Out of box thought.  The door you drawn is exactly represented my room. Typical HDB rooms😄  Thumb's up for the creativity 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Area behind the listener ( reflections) is critical too.

RTO

« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2021, 23:29:32 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Every room sounds different. What works for one, may not work for another. Especially if there are windows or glass doors on one or two sides. And where the door is located also affects the sound.

My most challenging placement involved bay window on left side, wooden door on the right side, glass bricks plus solid wall behind the speaker, another wooden door behind the left speaker. Ended up that the best placement was right speaker fire straight. Left speaker fire at 40 deg angle. Use eyes, cannot comprehend. Close eyes and listen, the imaging was dead centre with layering.

Luckily I have only one door on left side and single panel glass window behind (right back) the listing position. It gives me some trouble initially and optimising the speaker poisoning works as of now.

“40deg” angle for Left, is it typo?  Right side without any toing and still have good image with layering. 

RTO

« Reply #13 on: 23 October, 2021, 23:38:24 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • I don't have much space to accomodate the moving of my listening seat. Seat is currently roughly at the point where bass issues is minimal. Agree with Blue Starfish that every room is different and I believe that not every individual will have the same preferred spot in any particular room. I play around with spks positioning much more. So far have moved them more than 200 times. Now I just listen. Very happy with the majorityof music played.  ;D

I can understand your room challenges, it also is a blessing, in a way no more room for extra toys, saving $$$$ ;D

I think  , you are way behind for the speakers positioning count (200).  I have started to record my speaker + Listening positions since last year. Counting the moves since June 2020 till today is about 600++.   ;D ;D ;D.  I am almost done and time to enjoy the music  :o

Bloody Chowbotak

« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:07:18 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • 600+ times, bravo! For that many number of shifting, u jolly well better be enjoying yourself. Some might have given up way before tat ;D
    I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home