Author Topic: LAN Cable - WTF  (Read 2107 times)

zephyr11

Re: LAN Cable - WTF
« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2021, 09:25:21 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • woah...

truly so many things to try, and experiment!

thought think my setup change what lan cable also no diff, though i'm using the cat 8 one, same as RTO.

Francishuang

« Reply #16 on: 25 October, 2021, 11:01:24 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Use fibre.. Hehe

Joamonte

« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2021, 01:23:51 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

• AndrewC

« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:04:07 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Use fibre.. Hehe

Lagi better  ;D

That said, for those who might not want to tangle with Fibre/Media Converter/SFPs/PSUs etc, but still want to use Ethernet cables with EMI/RFI shielding, there are two alternatives;

1. Use an Ethernet isolation adapter - there are many on the market, the best ones are the "IEC 60601-1 Hospital-Grade" certified ones. It'll ensure complete galvanic isolation of the ground plane as well. Though not certified, the Acoustic Revive RLI LAN isolators are pretty good and measure really well.

2. Use a shielded Ethernet cable that has only one side of the cable shield grounded - like the Audioquest RJ/E Diamond - and be sure to connect that grounded side at the Router/Switch end. Problem with this solution is that you have to be sure the Ethernet cable is only grounded on one side (usually indicated as being "directional" like on the Audioquest cable).

You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Bloody Chowbotak

« Reply #19 on: 06 November, 2021, 01:23:05 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Guess what.  The cat 6 won. This morning I plugged in an MIC Ampcom Cat 6 that just arrived. Couldn't find my old one. Wah, stage expanded, quieter background and the music just seems more effortless. Bass gained back some weight too. Cheapest upgrade ever. Must thank Andrew for his advice! Another Cat 8 I tried from the same manufacturer also produced a bigger stage but was not as quiet and mids and lower mids were lighter. Ok don't give any more suggestions. Need to rest  ;D
    I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

AndrewC

« Reply #20 on: 06 November, 2021, 07:29:39 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.