Author Topic: Tidal vs. Qobuz  (Read 69 times)

AndrewC

• View Profile
Tidal vs. Qobuz
« on: 21 November, 2020, 07:57:39 am »
Have you compared any album, of the exact same provenance (to your best knowledge), played back via Tidal versus Qobuz?

Which sounded better to you?

And how/what do you define as better?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Bloody Chowbotak

• View Profile
Re: Tidal vs. Qobuz
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2020, 14:52:32 pm »
Never tried Qobuz but Tidal hifi sound kind of reminds me of the sound of tuners..
I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:19:48 am »
Other than sonic differences, one of the things that bugs me most about Tidal is their very biased recommendations; I never listen to Beyonce's or Jay-Z's, yet their albums/tracks show up practically all the time ::)

wizardofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2020, 14:14:38 pm »
Other than sonic differences, one of the things that bugs me most about Tidal is their very biased recommendations; I never listen to Beyonce's or Jay-Z's, yet their albums/tracks show up practically all the time ::)

as they pretty much own Tidal its all about self promotion. Toom rum in the new releases for my liking, but with Roon and tidal I get some benefit with finding things and new suggestions.

InnocentBlood

• Love Never Dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2020, 15:44:49 pm »
recently Warner Bros record label uploaded "millions" of MQA versions of their releases. initially I was looking fwd to this since I can listen on the Oppo 205 and also my AQ DF Cobalt ... until I realised that the regular rebook versions have been permanently deleted - wtf man?  :( I don't want to listen to MQA on my Chord BluDAVE setup.

I'm supposed to get a free 12 month Qobuz trial with my upcoming Zenith Statement so I look fwd to what Qobuz has to offer... as long as I can create an account with them in the first place, that is  :P

wizardofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2020, 15:56:07 pm »
I'll interested to know what CC (maybe PayPal AMEX can) you can sign up with for Qobuz and what location you VPN to.

Then if access can still use without VPN afterwards.

If that works maybe I also add Qobuz to Roon too.

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:28:29 am »
Signing up to Qobuz is pretty straitforward. Your Singapore Credit card will work just fine (at least it did when I signed up over a year ago IIRC). Just be sure to sign-up via VPN to start with, thereafter you wonít need VPN for any actual streaming (via Roon or even Qobuzí native app).

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2020, 12:09:42 pm »
... until I realised that the regular rebook versions have been permanently deleted - wtf man?  :( I don't want to listen to MQA on my Chord BluDAVE setup.

Apparently it's pretty rampant. They're systematically removing redbook versions every day.

That said, I only see a negative for mobile listeners, and those at home without Roon. If you're using Roon, then MQA core decode on Roon itself, and pipe the resulting 24/88.2 stream to BluDAVE would be better than just redbook playback via BluDAVE, no?