Author Topic: What discs did you just bought?  (Read 374 times)

Francishuang

• View Profile
Re: What discs did you just bought?
« Reply #30 on: 09 June, 2021, 22:13:14 pm »
  [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

These are the few of them which I felt are good.
Sister Drum, Koji 赤酒, 蔡琴 机遇, 天空 are super among this lot. Probably there are more good ones, but I can't possibly buy so many due to budget constraints. Have other crystal cds in my possession that I feel are not so good. Sometime it can be a big big heart sank moment when I found out a particular title isn't as good as I hoped for.

I've got a couple of UHQCDs, but no Crystal CDs. Any recommendation on a really good one I should try?
« Last Edit: 09 June, 2021, 22:22:56 pm by Francishuang »

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 June, 2021, 12:27:37 pm »

These are the few of them which I felt are good.
Sister Drum, ...

Excellent, thank you! I'll go find Dadawa "Sister Drum", I have that on both XRCD2 and SACD and can compare!  ;D
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Francishuang

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 June, 2021, 13:10:21 pm »
For the xrcd dun really need to compare  ;D
Can try finding the US and jap press too. The original Chinese press sound more wholesome compared to the US and jap press. The US press sounded clearer compared to the original Chinese press. The jap press tad more quiet compared to the US press.

For the sacd, its more towards the Warner US and jap press sound.

Different pressings for different systems and preferences I guess.

To me personally, the crystal cd version reigns supreme among the presses

For LP, the recent 45rpm release is not bad. Having said that, the orginal lp released in the late 90s or early 2000s isn't that good to begin with.

Excellent, thank you! I'll go find Dadawa "Sister Drum", I have that on both XRCD2 and SACD and can compare!  ;D
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2021, 13:19:12 pm by Francishuang »

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 June, 2021, 13:13:35 pm »
Can't seem to find this disc online at the usual places, including CDJapan  :-\

Any specific sites you frequent for crystal CDs?

Francishuang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 June, 2021, 13:18:31 pm »
You can approach Bobby of Audioline. I think he may still have 1. He carrys them as he is the Singapore distributor for Fung Hang Records.  Andy Lam of Fung Hung records is labelled the 'father' of crystal cd by the Europeans.

Can also check this site out
http://www.modernaudio.com/main/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&sort=20a&page=2

Though sometimes different labels like universal or impex will release crystal cds as well. Hk hifi mag and hk show organiser, Audio Technique also will release albums in crystal cd format.

Can't seem to find this disc online at the usual places, including CDJapan  :-\

Any specific sites you frequent for crystal CDs?
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2021, 14:29:31 pm by Francishuang »

Bloody Chowbotak

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 June, 2021, 16:57:07 pm »
Holy cow, now that $599 solution doesn't seem that expensive liao ;D
I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

Francishuang

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 June, 2021, 11:02:22 am »
It wun suffer the same death as a normal cd. Or at least its what they claim.  Will only know 20years later. Haha
It probably can last for a long time.
Imagine ur  West German silver ring print die before your very eyes. If think like that, maybe crystal is worth it. Haha

Holy cow, now that $599 solution doesn't seem that expensive liao ;D

Bloody Chowbotak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 June, 2021, 13:44:22 pm »
Bro, for such prices I really have to wait for a title that I really really love. Oh BTW can these crystal CDs be ripped ?  ;D ;D ;D
I am a homely man. My hobbies keep me home

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 June, 2021, 14:32:10 pm »
You can ...

Great, I'll go hunt it down! I have to be honest though, I'm highly highly skeptical, but we'll see, I don't want to judge before I give it a listen  ;)

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 June, 2021, 14:35:44 pm »
... Oh BTW can these crystal CDs be ripped ?  ;D ;D ;D

Any disc meant to be played on a CD player can be ripped.

The part that is debatable is whether it still sounds the same when played back as a rip vs. via a CD Player/Transport.

We shall soon see!  ;)

Francishuang

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 June, 2021, 15:19:45 pm »
It will not sound the same. More of is the physical attributes of the 'crystal' cd material itself. And of course any re mastering will change the sound too.

Any disc meant to be played on a CD player can be ripped.

The part that is debatable is whether it still sounds the same when played back as a rip vs. via a CD Player/Transport.

We shall soon see!  ;)

Francishuang

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 June, 2021, 15:22:20 pm »
It definitely will sound different, whether one likes it or not, it's highly personal. For example, for the famous blue raincoat, I still prefer the vinyl version over the crystal cd version.

Great, I'll go hunt it down! I have to be honest though, I'm highly highly skeptical, but we'll see, I don't want to judge before I give it a listen  ;)

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 June, 2021, 17:46:29 pm »
It will not sound the same. More of is the physical attributes of the 'crystal' cd material itself. And of course any re mastering will change the sound too.

Well, the main problem with comparing different discs is that often they're from different Redbook masters/stampers. In which case they will definitely sounds different, and so it's totally subjective, and one opinion will be just as good or bad as any others  ;)

However, CD vs. ripped files is a totally different story. When the rips are error-free - especially zero CU errors - thats an identical copy.

On the Vivaldi System, it's easy to prove objectively that the CD Transport bitstream from the physical disc to the DAC can be identical to the ripped version of that same CD streamed via the Upsampler (in clone mode), when measured at the DAC! Objectively. Irrefutable. People can claim differences, but in fact there's no difference and they will fail a blind test miserably.

Fortunately I have all the tools necessary to really measure how good a crystal disc is, including C1/C2/CU errors, disc Beta/Jitter etc., and do any objective comparisons.  ;D
« Last Edit: 11 June, 2021, 17:51:30 pm by AndrewC »

Francishuang

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 June, 2021, 18:42:22 pm »
There are some manufacturer released info on the Web. But it will be fun to know your findings too. Let me know if you cant find the sister drum crystal, I can loan it to u.

Well, the main problem with comparing different discs is that often they're from different Redbook masters/stampers. In which case they will definitely sounds different, and so it's totally subjective, and one opinion will be just as good or bad as any others  ;)

However, CD vs. ripped files is a totally different story. When the rips are error-free - especially zero CU errors - thats an identical copy.

On the Vivaldi System, it's easy to prove objectively that the CD Transport bitstream from the physical disc to the DAC can be identical to the ripped version of that same CD streamed via the Upsampler (in clone mode), when measured at the DAC! Objectively. Irrefutable. People can claim differences, but in fact there's no difference and they will fail a blind test miserably.

Fortunately I have all the tools necessary to really measure how good a crystal disc is, including C1/C2/CU errors, disc Beta/Jitter etc., and do any objective comparisons.  ;D
« Last Edit: 11 June, 2021, 19:14:43 pm by Francishuang »

AndrewC

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:25:22 am »
There are some manufacturer released info on the Web. But it will be fun to know your findings too. Let me know if you cant find the sister drum crystal, I can loan it to u.

Thanks for the offer!! Fortunately I managed to find and order from cdjapan (along with some other discs), should have it in a week or so I hope!

Do you mean; http://aqcd.org/main/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

The physical disc manufacturing explaination sounds reasonable, but while they show a transport RF signal amplitude improvement and eye-pattern clarity, they don't show any disc error improvement numbers??? Should be trivial to show rather than the RF signal and eye-pattern.

Good discs usually have much lower C1/C2 disc errors. Every normal disc has lots of C1 errors (and some C2). The redbook standard specifies a maximum of 220 C1 errors per second over a 10sec interval, but these are completely correctable errors per the redbook standard.

However, generally the better the disc, the lower the error counts and the greater the chance the disc can sound better! XRCD and SHM discs (Japan), usually have very low C1/C2 compared to normal CDs.