Author Topic: DIY mixing mastering  (Read 678 times)

BadEnglish

• Bad Since 20th Century. Set to Expire in 21th
Re: DIY mixing mastering
« Reply #15 on: 25 December, 2022, 16:16:04 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Now you are referring to sound stage height.
    On properly recorded and mixed tracks,  kick drum is always below snare drum, cymbals are a bit higher than snare ( all as in real life picture ) Bass guitar is at centre of height.

boxerfan88

« Reply #16 on: 25 December, 2022, 16:38:46 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Now you are referring to sound stage height.
    On properly recorded and mixed tracks,  kick drum is always below snare drum, cymbals are a bit higher than snare ( all as in real life picture ) Bass guitar is at centre of height.

Yup, height.

Like your speaker is coaxial, so the tweeter & woofer is at the same height because same axis. So how can the mixing engineer position the kick drum below the snare?

I think the mixing engineer use selective frequency band EQ to position the height, so the height positioning works for WMT speaker since the drivers are stacked above each other. So how it works for coaxial speaker? Hmm...
    Usher MD2+X616 | DA&T A38 | Soekris dac1541 | foobar2000 | Elementa BAC 2500 | Samsung PS50B850 | Yammy RXA3030 | Orisun DD12 | BDP-S5100 | Chromecast | Zidoo Z9X

BadEnglish

« Reply #17 on: 25 December, 2022, 17:11:15 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Yup, height.

Like your speaker is coaxial, so the tweeter & woofer is at the same height because same axis. So how can the mixing engineer position the kick drum below the snare?

I think the mixing engineer use selective frequency band EQ to position the height, so the height positioning works for WMT speaker since the drivers are stacked above each other. So how it works for coaxial speaker? Hmm...

Not close ;)

There are 2 major types. Close micking and acoustic micking. In latter, either single or dual mics in stereo separation, no additional DSP required,  and as good as it can sound. 
    In close micking, there are about 2 additional mics over the drum set to capture the reverberation and height.

There might be a lot more ways by now,  but this is all I know.

Reverberation is the key if you are looking for.

boxerfan88

DIY mixing mastering
    « Reply #18 on: 25 December, 2022, 17:17:35 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Ah so! Thanks for highlighting this, now I remember…It was covered in the lecture video. Multiple close mic recording per instrument.

They call the mic at back of piano the toilet

Boy…I still have a lot to learn….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Usher MD2+X616 | DA&T A38 | Soekris dac1541 | foobar2000 | Elementa BAC 2500 | Samsung PS50B850 | Yammy RXA3030 | Orisun DD12 | BDP-S5100 | Chromecast | Zidoo Z9X

BadEnglish

« Reply #19 on: 25 December, 2022, 17:58:12 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Watch where you are heading to ;D
    From mixing,  now recording,  soon you might start pick up brushes. You have enough room to fit an acoustic drum set in your living room.  8)

boxerfan88

DIY mixing mastering
    « Reply #20 on: 26 December, 2022, 12:25:30 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • That’s what makes this hobby great!

I try to understand what goes on at the upstream of the production chain… so that I can better understand and enjoy this HiFi hobby & music listening…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wusplay

« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2022, 07:27:10 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • boxer, why not book a session in one of the local studio. There are quite a few.  You can check the rate online, not too expensive. Of course no grand piano, just some basic instruments of guitar/bass/keys.Invite some of your musician friends over, and experience for real in doing recording. ;D

BadEnglish

« Reply #22 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:41:37 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • I can join.  I know how to play triangle  ;D