Author Topic: dCS Bartok 2.0  (Read 571 times)

BlurRhino

dCS Bartok 2.0
« on: 31 May, 2022, 22:11:16 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • For Bartok users, do yourself a favour and update to the new 2.0 firmware now. Wow.

wusplay

Re: dCS Bartok 2.0
    « Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2022, 03:10:28 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Haha the magic of dCS.
    Part of the improvement come from updating the mapping algorithm that set the DAC operating frequency is someting I totally don't understand.
    The update also change the upsampling/oversampling sequence, and filter roll off.
    Don't know if any others DAC maker capable of doing this sort of optimization.

Francishuang

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2022, 07:36:31 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • It gives users tons of settings to choose from. You can play with the different settings to make different kind of cds, digital files sound to your liking.

BlurRhino

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2022, 08:16:14 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Have not play with the new filters yet but additional maps are really good - I think ppl who complain that Bartok sounds “polite” will be happy now.

AndrewC

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2022, 11:17:59 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Haha the magic of dCS.
    Part of the improvement come from updating the mapping algorithm that set the DAC operating frequency is someting I totally don't understand.
    The update also change the upsampling/oversampling sequence, and filter roll off.
    Don't know if any others DAC maker capable of doing this sort of optimization.

I definitely recommending reading the Ring DAC White paper, it explain how the Ring DAC works quite clearly; https://dcsaudio.com/assets/dCS-Ring-DAC-Explained.pdf

The crux of the 2.0 release is to (1) double the frequency of the internal sample rate to 6MS/s (mega samples per second) from the previous 3MS/s, and (2) to tweak to the pseudo-random algorithm that selects each of the 48 resistor within the unitary-weighted analog conversion stage.

The results is that noise gets shaped even further away from the audio frequencies, while audibly lowering distortion.  Mapper 1 specifically really show how lowering the distortion allows so much more micro-details to emerge.  :)

By the way, there’s no change to the sequence of upsampling (on Bartok or Rossini, with 2.0), just the addition of DXD2.
    You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.