Author Topic: A very simple question: Are you happy with your audio system?  (Read 507 times)

boxerfan88

Re: A very simple question: Are you happy with your audio system?
« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2023, 23:04:02 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Words of wisdom?

Don't fall into the trap to feel inadequate and buy what you do not need.'

What do you guys here reckon?

Just to share...as I have posted in another thread in this forum, I started the journey to upgrade/simplify my system maybe 5 weeks ago.

Beginning with auditioning a shortlisted set of active speakers. I brought along my set of songs that I am familiar with to the tests. I started to hear far better pinpoint & well defined imaging, more neutral tonality that exposes a lot more details on familiar tracks. Some speakers were very forward in their presentation, some less forward. My preference leaned toward "less forward". One day, I stumbled upon a baby active bookshelf that was available to audition in SG, and it really stunned me like a vegetable. I seeked out it's bigger brothers but they don't exist in SG, and I seriously thought the biggest brother could be my end-game speakers. This led me into the Pro world...

During my research for speaker upgrades, I stumbled on a lot of newer tech active speakers with built in DSP (Genelec, D&D 8C, etc.). This took me down a rabbit hole of EQ'ing my current speakers at the source. Using the ATC curve that I found on the internet as reference (I loved the ATC50A transparency & tonality), I was shocked with what I could achieve with just EQ on my current system; and how a room will badly corrupt the sound of any speaker. I think I took my system to the next level without spending a single cent, only my time spent on research, trial & error to EQ my current speakers. I dare say, maybe 70%-80% of ATC performance level. That is why I did post in another thread, I could have stopped my upgrade effort and just enjoy my newly tweaked current system.

But then, upgradetitis infected my hands. I managed to find a big reputable online seller for the potential end-game speakers, but the €800 estimated shipping cost plus the complexity of freight forwarding paperwork led me to cancel the order. After some chit chat with the online seller, I found out I could buy the 2nd brother (much lighter and within postal service parcel shipping weight limit) and they could parcel ship them. To treat my upgradetitis, I ordered it. It's now in FRA waiting for a cargo seat on the airplane  ;) 

Sometimes, it's just the upgradetitis infection that makes us do what we do  :D

I had a little bit of buyers remorse when the items left the warehouse. But now I am eagerly waiting in anticipation.

(...to be continued another time...)

Usher MD2+X616 | DA&T A38 | Soekris dac1541 | foobar2000 | Elementa BAC 2500 | Samsung PS50B850 | Yammy RXA3030 | Orisun DD12 | BDP-S5100 | Chromecast | Zidoo Z9X

BadEnglish

• Bad Since 20th Century. Set to Expire in 21th
    « Reply #16 on: 24 January, 2023, 23:29:10 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Just to share...as I have posted in another thread in this forum, I started the journey to upgrade/simplify my system maybe 5 weeks ago.

Beginning with auditioning a shortlisted set of active speakers. I brought along my set of songs that I am familiar with to the tests. I started to hear far better pinpoint & well defined imaging, more neutral tonality that exposes a lot more details on familiar tracks. Some speakers were very forward in their presentation, some less forward. My preference leaned toward "less forward". One day, I stumbled upon a baby active bookshelf that was available to audition in SG, and it really stunned me like a vegetable. I seeked out it's bigger brothers but they don't exist in SG, and I seriously thought the biggest brother could be my end-game speakers. This led me into the Pro world...

During my research for speaker upgrades, I stumbled on a lot of newer tech active speakers with built in DSP (Genelec, D&D 8C, etc.). This took me down a rabbit hole of EQ'ing my current speakers at the source. Using the ATC curve that I found on the internet as reference (I loved the ATC50A transparency & tonality), I was shocked with what I could achieve with just EQ on my current system; and how a room will badly corrupt the sound of any speaker. I think I took my system to the next level without spending a single cent, only my time spent on research, trial & error to EQ my current speakers. I dare say, maybe 70%-80% of ATC performance level. That is why I did post in another thread, I could have stopped my upgrade effort and just enjoy my newly tweaked current system.

But then, upgradetitis infected my hands. I managed to find a big reputable online seller for the potential end-game speakers, but the €800 estimated shipping cost plus the complexity of freight forwarding paperwork led me to cancel the order. After some chit chat with the online seller, I found out I could buy the 2nd brother (much lighter and within postal service parcel shipping weight limit) and they could parcel ship them. To treat my upgradetitis, I ordered it. It's now in FRA waiting for a cargo seat on the airplane  ;) 

Sometimes, it's just the upgradetitis infection that makes us do what we do  :D

I had a little bit of buyers remorse when the items left the warehouse. But now I am eagerly waiting in anticipation.

(...to be continued another time...)

Why so long!
    Just said : I bought a new pair of speakers

boxerfan88

« Reply #17 on: 24 January, 2023, 23:33:50 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Why so long!
    Just said : I bought a new pair of speakers

5c for short post.
    $50 for long and winding grandmama grandpapa story post

ps: I need to start to earn money for the next treatment of upgradetitis.

😜
    « Last Edit: 24 January, 2023, 23:35:32 pm by boxerfan88 »
    Usher MD2+X616 | DA&T A38 | Soekris dac1541 | foobar2000 | Elementa BAC 2500 | Samsung PS50B850 | Yammy RXA3030 | Orisun DD12 | BDP-S5100 | Chromecast | Zidoo Z9X

Cash

« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2023, 01:12:13 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • At the moment, the answer is "Yes"
    but "The Future hold's many changes"
    I Might just Sell away everything, and head down to a "SoundBar Route"
    But before i do that, the most "Important thing to me, is (The Number of HDMI INPUTS MUST be at least 6 Inputs)"
    So far even the "Nakamichi Dragon" doesnt have a Minimum of 6 Inputs, so no go for me...
    Hehehehe!!
     ;D
    Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)

https://www.carousell.sg/u/cashkey/

boxerfan88

« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2023, 07:38:42 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Cascade something like this to the soundbar and you’re good to go.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPMEbiO

BadEnglish

« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2023, 08:03:57 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • 5c for short post.
    $50 for long and winding grandmama grandpapa story post

ps: I need to start to earn money for the next treatment of upgradetitis.

😜

Wahla why Audio so good to you.
    I'm still stuck with 50c per post :-X

zephyr11

« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2023, 10:16:02 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Then he is/was lucky to have seen all good systems.
    But I am unlucky, most of the systems that I have visited are heading West while their proud owners think it's heading East. Some of it are actually already at South , but owners claim it have reached East Shore  ;D

In Singapore , audiophile dealers are rich  ;D

sibeh chim....

so head which direction is correct? i stay east, but i should head east? or west? i for sure don't want to head south...

BadEnglish

« Reply #22 on: 25 January, 2023, 10:38:02 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]

• sibeh chim....

so head which direction is correct? i stay east, but i should head east? or west? i for sure don't want to head south...

One's system sounds as good as one's listening skill because it's what they called base ;D

Got my another 50c ;D

Cash

« Reply #23 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:06:55 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Cascade something like this to the soundbar and you’re good to go.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPMEbiO

Cannot leh...it's a HDCP 2.2.....not future ready for HDCP 2.3
    And it's HDMI 2.0, not HDMI 2.1
    Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)

https://www.carousell.sg/u/cashkey/

blue_starfish

« Reply #24 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:13:00 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Depends on whether one listens to music or to sound.

Those who listen to sound find it hard to be satisfied as there will always be another brand or model that plays deeper, harder, with more details. These are the customers whom dealers love as they change gear frequently. These are also the customers who have a good chance of leaving the hobby once their interest wanes.

Those who listen to wide range of music have less chance of contacting upgradeitis, once a certain level of gear has been reached. There is so much music out there that is good with average recording/mastering. Too good gear will not make these music sound better, and may even make them sound worse by exposing the flaws more. Those in this camp are satisfied and easier to be appeased. They listen to the music/artist. Not the sound.