Author Topic: Sony VPL-VW760ES / Sony VPL-VW885ES 4K SXRD Projector  (Read 1664 times)

Audio

• Administrator
Sony VPL-VW760ES / Sony VPL-VW885ES 4K SXRD Projector
« on: 02 February, 2021, 20:58:19 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Continuation of the Sony VPL=VW760ES projector thread.

Import all projector screenshots for sharing:-

(Audio)

Audio

• Administrator
    Re: Sony VPL-VW760ES / Sony VPL-VW885ES 4K SXRD Projector
    « Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2021, 21:13:51 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • More pictures:-

(Audio)

DJQ

• DJQ
    « Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2021, 23:53:26 pm »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • darn it. that's one freaking long post full of vivid captions. for a moment i thought i joined a photographers forum.
    DYNAUDIO Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC17
    PLINIUS CD101, TAUTORO, SA103
    DENON AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700
    FE Master Reference Rack, SINE Mega 6, SA-5 UK
    Nordost Heimdall2 Cables

Cash

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2021, 01:40:40 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • i got a shock too!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    wow!!
    Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)

https://www.carousell.sg/u/cashkey/

Audio

• Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:47:03 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • Just import all my projector pictures from Xtremeplace.  I supposed to add-on.  I have found no time to do it yet.

Need to post my Atmos Speakers installation first.

(Audio)

DoggieHowser

« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2022, 10:52:03 am »
  • [applaud]
  • [smite]
  • I have owned the 760ES projector for over 4 years.

And by and large, I've had the upgraditis pangs. JVC's new HDMI 2.1 laser projectors for instance. And even Sony's new 7000ES with the 3200 lumens.

Because it happened gradually, I wasn't even sure if the projector was getting dimmer. I did get the odd flickering in the light output which used to trouble my old lamp based projectors but I thought it might have been caused by overheating so I turned the fan mode to high altitude.

Still continued to get intermittent flickering. I also noticed the odd clicking sound from where the gear was. This sounded a lot like relays clicking in - like when the AVR encounters a different sample rate frequency or format so I didn't really pay too much attention to it.

But it was only after I got the Lumagen Radiance Pro that I began spending time in front of all the equipment - operating the arcane and archaic menus to set it up, that I noticed the clicking was coming from the projector. I had encountered the dreaded iris problem! :(

The 760ES shipped with only dynamic laser dimming to improve black levels - but a later firmware update enabled the dynamic iris inside (shared with the VPL5xx series of lamp projectors). This did improve the dynamic contrast level which was great for owners. However, it appears the iris in the 760ES on the original units (like mine) were not fully tested so the failure rate may have been pretty high.

I quickly checked Sony Australia - thankfully we have a 5 year warranty here - and they redirected me to a local repair centre. It was there for about 1.5 weeks. They tested the unit to confirm the fault, ordered a replacement part from the regional office, installed the part and tested it to make sure it was all working. Got the text from them yesterday and quickly picked it up again.

Happy to report that the unit feels as good as new. It definitely feels as bright as when I first got it. And with the Lumagen tone mapping, I really have my upgrade bug sated for now :)

While HDMI 2.1 would be great, and I have the AVM90 that is HDMI 2.1 compatible, I mainly game on my driving rig and that's not going to work in the media room. I also mainly play in VR so that negates the need for an HDMI 2.1 projector as well.

And watching TV and movies on the repaired 760ES reminds me of why I really loved it in the first place. I think the faulty iris was compromising brightness output too. So now I am back to full output.